armandoke

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Israeli Apartheid Week 2009



Last Tuesday I had the opportunity to attend Norman Finkelstein's lecture at KUL (Catholic University of Leuven). Although the announced subject was related to what can be learned from Gandhi to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, he actually spoke about the recent massacre of Gaza. He has obviously his own view, probably gave his own spin to all facts. Nevertheless, he spoke about facts.

Long time ago, I was a blind supporter of the State of Israel and its actions against Palestinians. I believed naively, as I was taught, that Israel's State was the fulfillment of Old Testament promises, that God had a 'special deal' with Israel, and that nobody should even question Israel's actions, because nobody should 'speak against the elected people of God'. Furthermore, I was taught that Palestinians were cursed by God.

I believed lies. And I am so sorry for that...

Anyway, my small contribution today: one voice for the peace between Israel and Palestina. I still believe that JUSTICE precedes PEACE. And I still believe that the actual hope for both Israel and Palestine is the Messiah, Jesus, the Eternal King. He comes bringing restorative justice!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Armando since I am a supporter of israel, since I see their spiritual and physical preence and purpose in the NT, I wonder that facts that reoriented this guy´s perspective.
    I love you my friend Lenard

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3/10/2009 02:38:00 pm  

  • Lenario,

    The theological problem behind is that the actual fulfillment of Israel's expectations is, was and will be Jesus. It was at the resurrection and ascension when he was enthroned as the Lord of the World.

    I know we have been taught since the very early days of our conversion to the faith that Israel is the elected nation, but all those teachings came with the spin of dispensational pro-zionist theories (you know the rapture stuff), theories that lower down Jesus' achievements and that are contrary to God's Kingdom. It took me years, and you know that, to leave back those doctrines, and i truly repent of having believed them.

    Supporting Israel does not mean, I think, closing the eyes to the atrocities they are committing against Palestinians, but to call them to account based e.g. on Deuteronomy principles. Supporting Israel should mean and include that we should announce Jesus, the risen Messiah, as the Lord of the World, and the true Lord of Israel.

    I love you too my dear friend!

    By Blogger Armando, At 3/11/2009 02:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home