armandoke

Thursday, January 18, 2007

'n knuffel voor 'n truffel

That means "a hug for a chocolate" ... and that was the name of the action that I witnessed Tuesday at Gent-Sint-Pieters station. This action was organised by Youth for Community Action or Maatschapelijk Jongeren Actie in Dutch. I visited their site, and apart from promotion of safe sex -must be read read there as "condom use"-, it tries to understand the needs of youth, and take action. It is a good intention, to my understanding, however, without pointing straight to Jesus-Christ, I don't think they will meet the true needs of this generation. Call me whatever fundamentalist, but that does not change this truth. Young Flemish people are starving for true love, and of course away from Jesus they won't get their needs met, even if they try hard.

The whole situation made me think of the "free hugs" action started by some australian guy. The difference of course, was that MJA was offering a chocolate in trade for the hugs. Those who know me, know already that I freely hug my relatives, friends and Church acquintances (a good Christian habit, btw) therefore, I found it not only strange but silly to offer a chocolate in exchange of a hug. What was even stranger was the little reaction they got from the travellers. I had the opportunity to speak with one of the MJA girls, we commented on the "free hugs" story, and we eventually agreed that hugs should be free :-)

Anyway, does love or affection can be bought? I don't think so. Probably that's why they got so little response from the public.

This post celebrates also ONE YEAR AS BLOGGER

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home